I’m in love with celery! Its such an amazing vegetable, with so much nutritional value and its also yumm! Its taste is so fresh and I love its juicy crunch and bitter herby flavor! I love celery in salads and I absolutely LOVE eating raw celery with french onion dip! Its HEAVEN!
Check out these interesting facts about Celery:
- As far back as ancient Rome, celery was considered an aphrodisiac. Today, scientists know that celery contains androsterone, a pheromone released by men’s sweat glands that attracts females.– Boyss! Celery is good for you (in more ways than one 😉 )
- Aulus Cornelius Celsus, writing around 30 AD, wrote about the use of celery seeds to relieve pain.
- Famed Italian lover Casanova made sure to include lots of celery in his diet to keep up his stamina.
- Kalamazoo began promoting itself as the “Celery City” and became known around the country for the “strange” vegetable.
- There is a celery museum in Portage, Michigan called the Celery Flats Interpretive Center.
- Today, California is the nation’s top celery producer. Michigan ranks fourth.
- One stalk of celery contains about 10 calories. Some contend that it contains “negative calories,” meaning that one spends more calories digesting it than are consumed when it eating it, which supposedly helps with weight loss.— For those who wanna lose by eating 😛
- Celery, onions, and carrots make up the “holy trinity,” known as the “mirepoix,” of French cuisine. These three vegetables are used together as the base for many French dishes, including sauces, stews, soups, and stocks.
- After a patron at the Pump Room at Chicago’s Ambassador East Hotel decided to stir his Bloody Mary with a stalk of celery, the idea caught on and celery became permanently linked with the drink.
- The herb is also rich in many vital vitamins including folic acid (provides 9% of RDA), riboflavin, niacin and vitamin-C, which are essential for optimum metabolism.
See? Amazing isn’t it? So how do you like your celery?